10 December 2006 (updated)
A list of common file types with a brief description and examples of programs that can open these files.
If a file does not appear to have a filetype extension, open the folder it is stored in and click on Tools from the menu, then Folder Options. Click on the View tab and un-tick Hide extensions for known file types.
- .avi - video file. Open with Windows Media Player
- .bmp - image file. Open with Paint
- .cfg - configuration file.
- .dat - data file.
- .doc - document file. Open with Word
- .exe - program file. Double-click to run
- .gif - image file. Open with Paint
- .htm - web document. Open with Internet Explorer
- .html - web document. Open with Internet Explorer
- .ini - text configuration file. Open with Notepad
- .jpeg/jpg - image file. Open with Paint
- .mov - movie file. Open with Quicktime
- .mpeg/mpg - video file. Open with QuickTime
- .mp3 - audio file. Open with Windows Media Player
- .pdf - secure document file. Open with Adobe Reader
- .pps - slideshow presentation. Open with PowerPoint
- .ppt - presentation file. Open with PowerPoint
- .sys - system file.
- .txt - text file. Open with Notepad
- .wav - audio file. Open with Windows Media Player
- .xls - spreadsheet file. Open with Excel
- .zip - compressed file. Open with WinZip
Ask A Computer Expert
Ask your computer question and get an answer in minutes via e-mail from experts at Just Answer. Choose how much to pay and only pay if you like the answer.
Get more tips in your free Easy Computer Tips E-book
Most Popular Tips
Change the clock
Double click on the clock on the Taskbar to change the time and date shown.
more Quick Tips..
Software A - Z
Firefox is the second most popular web browser after Internet Explorer, and is used to view web pages on the Internet.
Computer Jargon Box
View our Computer Jargon page for explanations of common computer and internet terms used on this site.