10 December 2006 (updated)
A list of common file types with a brief description and examples of programs that can open these files.
If a file does not appear to have a filetype extension, open the folder it is stored in and click on Tools from the menu, then Folder Options. Click on the View tab and un-tick Hide extensions for known file types.
- .avi - video file. Open with Windows Media Player
- .bmp - image file. Open with Paint
- .cfg - configuration file.
- .dat - data file.
- .doc - document file. Open with Word
- .exe - program file. Double-click to run
- .gif - image file. Open with Paint
- .htm - web document. Open with Internet Explorer
- .html - web document. Open with Internet Explorer
- .ini - text configuration file. Open with Notepad
- .jpeg/jpg - image file. Open with Paint
- .mov - movie file. Open with Quicktime
- .mpeg/mpg - video file. Open with QuickTime
- .mp3 - audio file. Open with Windows Media Player
- .pdf - secure document file. Open with Adobe Reader
- .pps - slideshow presentation. Open with PowerPoint
- .ppt - presentation file. Open with PowerPoint
- .sys - system file.
- .txt - text file. Open with Notepad
- .wav - audio file. Open with Windows Media Player
- .xls - spreadsheet file. Open with Excel
- .zip - compressed file. Open with WinZip
Ask A Computer Expert
Ask your computer question and get an answer in minutes via e-mail from experts at Just Answer. Choose how much to pay and only pay if you like the answer.
Get more tips in your free Easy Computer Tips E-book
Most Popular Tips
Change how you view file lists
You can change how your files are shown in a folder by clicking on View then choosing between Thumbnails, Tiles, Icons, List or Details.
more Quick Tips..
Software A - Z
Flash is a popular method of displaying graphics animation, video and interactive content on web pages.
Computer Jargon Box
View our Computer Jargon page for explanations of common computer and internet terms used on this site.